How you can help the Hispanic demographic prep for homeownershipIn our latest episode we chat with Maria Vergara, Director of Community Lending at Fannie Mae. She uncovers why you should be paying attention to the Hispanic demographic (if you want to stay in business, that is). She also discusses how homebuyer education can help Hispanic borrowers understand their down payment options as well as the homebuying process, and how her own cultural background has played a big part in her transformational role at Fannie Mae.
- Can you explain the difference between the terms Latino(a) and Latinx? Is there a right or wrong way to use these terms? (1:06)
- What sets the Hispanic demographic apart from other demographics? What makes it unique? (3:54)
- What advice would you give lenders not currently focused on attracting or working with this demographic? (5:30)
- Are there any organizations you recommend mortgage professionals check out if they’re interested in learning more about the Hispanic demographic? (12:51)
- Fannie Mae is very well-recognized throughout the industry. What work would you say it has done to support diversity and inclusion efforts within the mortgage industry? (14:19)
- Can you tell me a little more about your cultural background and how it has played a role in your career? (22:03)
The opinions and insights expressed in this Q&A are solely those of its interviewee and do not necessarily represent the views of either Mortgage Guaranty Insurance Corporation or any of its parent, affiliates, or subsidiaries (collectively, “MGIC”). Neither MGIC nor any of its officers, directors, employees or agents makes any representations or warranties of any kind regarding the soundness, reliability, accuracy or completeness of any opinion, insight, recommendation, data, or other information contained in this blog, or its suitability for any intended purpose.