United Way’s efforts to improve housing and financial security, including ending family homelessness
Mortgage Connects podcast host Stephanie Budnik sits down for a conversation with Krystina Kohler from the United Way of Greater Milwaukee & Waukesha County. Krystina is the Financial Stability Portfolio Manager at United Way and since 2013, she has provided analysis and support for over 70 of its community fund programs. She also leads United Way’s Safe & Stable Homes initiative, which aims to end family homelessness in Greater Milwaukee.
Stephanie and Krystina discuss:
- How United Way invests its funds to support community health and human services initiatives, such as programs that further education and financial stability
- Krystina’s work overseeing United Way’s grants and how she leads its community impact initiative Safe & Stable Homes
- United Way’s efforts to improve housing and financial security, including ending family homelessness
- How a safe and stable home is the foundation for everything good in life: health, education, income and a strong social network
- How United Way encourages its community members to give, advocate and volunteer
- What is United Way and how are its donations used? (1:24)
- What is your role at United Way? (3:13)
- What is it about your job that you love so much? (4:24)
- What does United Way do to improve housing security? (5:39)
- Tell me more about the connection between a home and a person’s health. (6:56)
- You mentioned the Safe & Stable Homes initiative. Can you tell us more about that? (11:05)
- What are you most proud of with the initiative? Or what have been some big accomplishments you’ve seen through this work? (12:17)
- United Way is nationwide. How would someone get more involved to support homeownership and United Way’s other initiatives? (15:51)
- What is one thing you want our listeners to know about housing and one thing about United Way? (17:33)
The opinions and insights expressed in this Q&A are solely those of its interviewee and do not necessarily represent the views of either Mortgage Guaranty Insurance Corporation or any of its parent, affiliates, or subsidiaries (collectively, “MGIC”). Neither MGIC nor any of its officers, directors, employees or agents makes any representations or warranties of any kind regarding the soundness, reliability, accuracy or completeness of any opinion, insight, recommendation, data, or other information contained in this blog, or its suitability for any intended purpose.
Krystina Kohler, Financial Stability Portfolio Manager, United Way of Greater Milwaukee & Waukesha County
Krystina Kohler has a master’s degree in Political Economy of Violence, Conflict and Development from the University of London and has been with United Way since 2013. Krystina provides program analysis and support to over 70 United Way Community Fund programs in the areas of basic needs, workforce development, and financial capability. She leads United Way's Safe & Stable Homes initiative to end family homelessness in Greater Milwaukee by 2023. She also sits on various community workgroups including Milwaukee's Continuum of Care Coordinated Entry Team, Wisconsin Policy Forum's Economic Development Committee, and FEMA's Emergency Food & Shelter Program local boards for Milwaukee and Waukesha. Krystina is passionate about examining the systems in which poverty is perpetuated and working with community leaders to pilot potential solutions.